Halloween fun is about way more than trick-or-treating (though we admit, getting candy in bulk is one of our favorite things). What's even better than going door-to-door getting chocolate, you ask? Opening your door to guests and hosting the ultimate Halloween party at home. Here are three easy, fun Halloween recipes that will have ghouls and gals lining up by the kitchen for second helpings. These sweet treats are all treat and no trick -- unless you count watching them disappear from a plate. Happy Halloween.
Creepy Halloween Cupcakes
Build your own cupcake witches, spooks, and monsters scary enough to eat with this yummy recipe from Hershey’s.
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine (1-1/2 sticks), softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
- 30 Hershey's Kisses Milk Chocolates
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 container creamy vanilla ready-to-spread frosting (16 oz.)
- Assorted Hershey's Candies
- Red and yellow food coloring
1. Remove wrappers from chocolates; set aside. Heat oven to 350°F. Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups.
2. Combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat on high speed of mixer 3 minutes. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add alternately with water to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Fill prepared muffin cups about 1/2 full with batter. Place chocolate piece in center of each.
3. Bake 20 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Remove from cups to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Tint frosting with red and yellow food color to make orange. Frost cupcakes with orange frosting. Cut up candies to make "monster" faces. Yields about 2-1/2 dozen cupcakes.
Oreo Cookie Spiders
These are really fun to make with the kids and make a silly surprise to greet visiting ghouls at the door. To start, top Oreo cookies with M&Ms. For the legs, you can use strips of licorice or Twizzlers. For an extra crunch, try pretzels.
- Use frosting to affix M&M "eyes" to the top of your Oreo cookie.
- Unwind licorice to create thin strands for the spider's legs.
- Gently insert four strands of licorice on each side of the frosting to give your spider eight legs.
How delicious do these decadent brownies look? You can customize them from creepy to cute depending on your mood. We made them even easier by starting with our best brownie mix, Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix, and decorating them with M&Ms and sprinkles.
- Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Chocolate frosting
- Make brownies according to instructions on box.
- Once brownies, cool add a layer of chocolate frosting.
- Decorate as desired with your favorite candies and serve!